The name Three Sisters is a homage to my parents. It was name of the first ranch my father worked on when he came to California in 1972, and for my mother who is one of three sisters.
This Chorizo and Lentils recipe has been passed down for generations. This is more than just a recipe for chorizo-based soup, it is centuries of tradition and culture that have sustained families like mine through the cold Northern winters and long days of summer harvest. Enjoy!
- One pound of lentils
- 4 carrots
- 2 cloves of garlic
- ½ onion
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 green pepper
- 2-3 tomatoes or 6oz of tomato sauce
- 1 pound of Three Sisters Spanish Style Dry-cured Chorizo
- Bay Leaf
Wash lentils and drain. Chop the onion, garlic, parsley into small pieces. Chop carrots, green pepper and tomato (unless using sauce). Cut chorizo into pieces.
- In a pot, add olive oil and heat until hot.
- Add garlic and onion and cook until they are transparent in color.
- Add chorizo and parsley, cook for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add carrots, green pepper and tomato.
- Add lentils and sauté all ingredients well and make sure to stir and mix.
- Add water until all ingredients are covered, may need to add more as lentils will expand.
- Add bay leaf.
- Let cook for 45 minutes to an hour, stir occasionally.
Let soup cool, dish, and serve!